You have rehearsed for this day for the past few months, so here are a few final tips that you have no doubt heard before. We want to make sure that you have as smooth a UMAT experience as possible.
Please share this article with your friends or family if you think they need some final tips as well.
1. Read and Think carefully.
Consider all the choices in each question on the UMAT. Don’t lose points on easy UMAT questions through careless mistakes.
2. Use your UMAT test booklet.
Your UMAT answer sheet must be kept neat and free of stray marks, but you can mark up your UMAT test booklet. You can write whatever you want, wherever you want on it. However, you will not receive credit for anything written in the booklet. Below are some tips as to how to use your UMAT test booket:
- Mark each question that you don’t answer on the UMAT so that you can easily find it again
- Draw a line through each choice as you eliminate it when working on a question on the UMAT
- Mark important sections, sentences or words in the stimulus.
- Make drawings to help you figure out word problems
- Mark key information on the graphs
- Add information to drawings and diagrams on the UMAT as you work on them
3. Check your answer sheet regularly to make sure you are in the right place.
Losing your place on the UMAT answer sheet will affect your test results. Check that the number of the UMAT question and the number on the answer sheet matches every few questions. This is especially important when you skip a question on the UMAT.
4. Work at an even, steady pace, but keep moving.
Don’t spend too much time working through hard questions on the UMAT that you lose time to find and answer the easier questions on the UMAT. Try to work on less time-consuming questions before moving on to those that require more time. you can also save time on the UMAT by marking questions as you work on them and crossing out choices as you move through the UMAT.
5. Keep track of time during the UMAT.
You have a total of 3 hours to complete the UMAT. Develop a habit of occasionally checking your progress through the UMAT. That way, you know when you are a quarter of the way through the time allotted, when you are half-way through the UMAT and when you only have 5 minutes left. If you have any time left over on the UMAT, use it to check your answers.
6. Know which questions on the UMAT are best for you.
After practicing the different kinds of questions on the drills and practice UMAT exams, you will probably know which type of questions you are most comfortable with. Some questions, you will find, will take you longer than others. It may help to begin with the type of questions you feel most comfortable with, rather than the very beginning of the booklet.
If you do adopt this tip, just be sure to mark in your UMAT test booklet which question you skipped so you can return to it.
7. Answer the easy questions on the UMAT first
Once you know where the easy and hard questions are on the UMAT, answer the easy questions before tackling the more time-consuming questions on the UMAT.
8. Think positively on the UMAT
Getting down on yourself during the UMAT does more than make you feel bad. It is taking away the confidence and support your body needs to solve problems. It can even distract you. Try to keep your confidence up, and focus on each question on the UMAT.
The UMAT aims to display what you know and can do. If you have prepared, you should feel good about yourself and your capabilities!
9. Stay focused on the UMAT
Ignore distractions during the UMAT. Think only of the question in front of you. If you catch yourself daydreaming, bring your focus back to the UMAT.
10. Never give up on the UMAT.
Don’t listen to the little voice in your ear that says “The UMAT is impossibly hard”. Keep going no matter what.